I had a rather horrific time with my first born. I plan to have things go much better this time. Three and a half years ago, many of things that added to my pain were out of my control. Some, however, were in my realm of influence. I didn't do a very good job taking care of myself. Ignorance was a major contributing factor in my lack of self-care. Pride, exhaustion & deep feelings of abandonment sealed the deal.
So I've started compiling a list of things I want after my son is born this Fall.
This list is not intended to be a shopping list for anyone but myself. I don't expect any loving (Mom), generous (Mom) or compassionate (Mom) person to buy this stuff. I'm sharing it for two reasons:
1. Give what little wisdom I have to those who have a wee bit less experience in this area.
2. See if I'm missing anything. If you notice something that I left off, that you think is important, please tell me!
Also, please note: Many of the things on this list are going to be new to me. I didn't have them with my first son and in hindsight wish I did. I could be wrong. I might get some of them and decide I wasted my money. Tis better to have good care resources available and not need them, than to need them desperately and not have them.
Peri-Stations (I'll have one in each bathroom I use. One upstairs, one downstairs)
- Super-thin pads
- Perineal cold pads
- Tucks pads or Postpartum bath herbs. Probably both. I'll see which I need more at the time.
- Bottom Spray
- Depends. Yes, adult diapers. A lot of people recommend them for the first couple of days. They are a bit more forgiving than underwear, are meant to be disposed of, and the new ones don't make the crinkly noise of traditional adult diapers. We'll see.
- Milk band So much better than writing notes!
- Bamboobies These sound lovely. I figure nothing can be worse than the bulky cotton ones or the crinkly disposable ones I used before.
- Some sorta nipple cream. I can't figure out if I'll stick with lanolin, or try some vegan organic stuff. There are lots of options
- Soothies I'm not sure if I'll stick with this brand. Some people love 'em, some people don't. But I plan on having some kind of nipple gel pad available.
- Pillow and/or Boppy
- Pads, cream & gel pads listed above
- Water bottle
- Clif Bars
- Cloth diapers for burp cloths
- Books. Maybe. Lots of people recommend them. I anticipate being too tired to read. If I do grab a book, though, it will be Calvin & Hobbes or something equally stimulating.
- A belly band. There are so many options, though, I don't know what to chose. I might just end up getting a really big ace wrap. The extra support will be lovely, I just know it!
- Handheld fan. I remember sweating for about 6 months after my son was born. While I thoroughly enjoy perspiring while exercising, I loathe it while sitting still.
- Rapid release Tylenol For the inevitable headaches