Sunday, June 12, 2011

Making Protein Palatable

My midwife recommends I follow the Bradley Diet. It calls for consuming protein, LOTS of protein. Since I'm not a super-big fan of meat she further recommended getting a powdered protein and drinking it once a day.

Suzanne, my happy, though delusional, midwife said to just mix it with a glass of juice each day. That dear man of mine picked  up a pack of powdered rice protein about two months ago. I tried it with orange juice.

I choked.

I poured in more orange juice.

My stomach flip-flopped.

I threw in more juice.

My eyes watered. I pushed it across the table. My sweet M tried his valiant best to swallow it also. He soldiered through about 75% of it. It was so awful that I decided to find my way around powdered protein.

Two months later, though, I feel like I need the boost. It's pretty toasty warm here in the middle of the U.S. of A. I was starting to swell ever so slightly. I'm staring down another 3 months of heat, so I decided to brave another try. I picked up a pack of RAW Protein. I tried it with coconut milk this time. (The stuff that Silk makes.)

I choked.

I determined that should I ever have an absorption disorder and require protein daily, I would rather have a g-tube than have that junk slide down my throat. BUT. . . I didn't want to be wasteful.

So I added Hot Cocoa Mix. Then I added Coffee. (organic decaf).

I took a sip.

It was yummy!

Woo hoo! I discovered the secret for making protein palatable! I'm sure the raw folks out there are shaking their heads at how I destroyed the "raw-ness" by heating it up. But a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!

copyright (c) Elizabeth, Bug's Beef. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I moderate comments. If comments are snarky, I'll publish them, but not respond. If the comments are hateful, they will not be published. If they're nice, I'll pray a blessing over you as I publish your comment. And maybe even blow a kiss!