Monday, October 11, 2010

Ambiguity

Sometimes ambiguity is frustrating. Sometimes it is delightful. Here is an example of the wonderful side:

2 Timothy 1:12

That is why I am suffering as I am. Yet I am not ashamed, because I know whom I have believed, and am convinced that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him for that day. NIV

and that is why I suffer these things. But I am not ashamed, because I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that He is able to guard what has been entrusted to me until that day. CSB

So which is it? Has it been entrusted to us by God, or have we entrusted it to God?

It's not just these two translations that are in disagreement. Check out Crosswalk.com's comparison of verses here. Apparently the original text is a bit ambiguous.

As I try to figure out which one is right, I realize the answer is both. There is nothing that I can entrust to God that He hasn't already entrusted to me. Pretty cool.

copyright (c) Elizabeth, Bug's Beef. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I moderate comments. If comments are snarky, I'll publish them, but not respond. If the comments are hateful, they will not be published. If they're nice, I'll pray a blessing over you as I publish your comment. And maybe even blow a kiss!