Thursday, July 21, 2011

Love the Library

My child really doesn't have a chance. Both nature and nurture are against him. A bookworm he is. A bookworm he will remain.

My husband loves books. I love books. We live next door to the library.

So N and I find ourselves at the library quite a bit. Through the school year we go at least once, if not twice a week. On Tuesdays and Wednesdays they offer story time with a correlating craft. On Thursdays the local senior citizens come to read stories to the kids. There are also crafts and snacks (!) on Thursdays.

The children's librarian, Miss Carol, knows and loves my son. The feeling is heartily returned by him.

Through the summer months story time continues on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, but they add in family day on Thursdays. Family day rocks. A special guest comes in and shares either information or stories, then some sort of treat. So far we've seen birds (owls are SO COOL!), fire fighters, a chef, and made some crafts from around the world. Today we got to read all about pancakes, then ate some. My three year old had four pancakes. Next week magicians are coming.

I feel like the Fonz, but seriously, go check out your library. Even if you don't have small kids, it's fun to watch other people's. When the firefighters were presenting their safety information they had to pause for a moment to help a little girl tie the bow on her dress. It was absolutely the sweetest thing. Apparently she fully believed that they really are there to help her. To aid and assist during accidents, fires, and clothing emergencies.

Since our small town library offers so much, I figure everyone else's does, too. They have guest speakers, giveaways, and free movies to rent. While you're there, you might even find a good book.

copyright (c) Elizabeth, Bug's Beef. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I moderate comments. If comments are snarky, I'll publish them, but not respond. If the comments are hateful, they will not be published. If they're nice, I'll pray a blessing over you as I publish your comment. And maybe even blow a kiss!