Friday, July 15, 2011

He Understands II

Today I will finally tell you the way God knocked my socks off a few months ago. I haven't delayed in an attempt to be sly. I've just been a bit of a slacker, choosing to nap rather than blog. Crazy pregnant girl.

My husband and I attended the New Members Class at our church during the spring semester. Instead of focusing on church policy, though, the course was mainly dedicated to doctrine. I know it sounds awful, and like a "bait and switch," but it was quite refreshing.

As we were studying Christ we began looking at the truth that He emptied Himself, became nothing, when He took on flesh. We read the well known passage from Philippians:

In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus:
Who, being in very nature God, 
did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage;
rather, he made himself nothing
by taking the very nature of a servant
,
being made in human likeness. Philippians 2:5-7 NIV

Our pastor pointed out the irony of Jesus becoming nothing by taking on something. He didn't just empty himself into nothingness. Rather, He exchanged something majestic for something low. I suddenly realized that He really does understand what it is like to be a mom.

Yes, being a mom is wonderful, rewarding, & important. Blah, blah, blah. But, boy, do we give up a lot when we starting raising our babies. There is so much of me that has been laid aside so that I may nurture my son. Just as Jesus chose to humble himself to the low position, so have I. Only His lowering was much worse than mine. He understands.

This is not limited to mommies, though. Some men take jobs that harm their careers, or even derail their life goals in order to care for ailing parents or a young family. There are other people that God calls to walk away from worldly success and significance so that they may serve others. The situations are endless. So is our God. Jesus understands. He truly is our great high priest.


copyright (c) Elizabeth, Bug's Beef. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I moderate comments. If comments are snarky, I'll publish them, but not respond. If the comments are hateful, they will not be published. If they're nice, I'll pray a blessing over you as I publish your comment. And maybe even blow a kiss!