Friday, July 27, 2012

A jumping jaunt

Much has happened since my last post. But I have little time measured out for blogging today. So I'll give a brief glimpse into various subjects that have been rolling about in my head. I hope to go into greater detail on some of them in later posts.

The Older Brother

The Bible records for us a parable that Jesus told. It's rather famous. Usually it is referred to as The Prodigal Son.  The story revolves around a father and his two sons. The younger son is a spoiled brat. So is the older one. Many people (myself included) focus on, and relate to, the younger son. I've been thinking about that older son lately, though. I'm pretty sure I have transitioned from the younger brat to the older one.  There are people in my life that are walking in rebellion, totally disrespecting God and otherwise trashing up the planet. And they just keep on keepin' on. And it ticks me off. I want them to get their heads out of their backsides. I want God to do something.

The parable hangs a bit at the end, sort of like the you-choose-the-ending-books that you read as an elementary school student. The interesting thing about the story that Jesus told is he resolves the younger son's life. He leaves the older one's unresolved. How are you going to resolve it? What will you do, O older brother with the cranky, self-absorbed heart? (Brilliance is not what revealed this aspect of the story to me, I was reading a blog that pointed out the unresolved ending. No clue which one, though. Sorry.) And the fact that Jesus was telling this story to the muttering Pharisees and the teachers of the law reinforces to me which son was being dealt with.

To read the story again, click here.

Brothers

The other day N was encroaching on T's space. T put out his chubby, 9-month old elbow. It looked rather intentional. I pointed it out to my husband. A minute later M said, "Oh, that was on purpose. He just put up his hand to push him away."

What thrills await us as our sons work out their relationship?

Watchman Nee

Is one of my favorite authors. Perhaps my absolute favorite. I'll give it a few more years to see if anyone else rises to the top. I was reading "The Character of God's Workman" the other day. He gives a suggestion for something to say when people begin providing you unnecessary information. (The nice way of labelling gossip and emotional vomiting.) It cracked me up. I wonder if I'll ever get away with saying this to someone?

"What you have said is enough. You may stop now."

Imagine if someone were to start ranting about their work situation, as usual and you say, "What you have said is enough. You may stop now."

Or if the person on the other line starts complaining about their day. Two words into it, you know enough to pray for them. Which is Watchman Nee's point. Once you know the scenario, you don't need anything more. "What you have said is enough. You may stop now."

Emotions

In the spirit of the Olympics, I feel like I am in the emotional starting blocks. With the least provocation I can be off and running on a variety of tracks. If undisturbed, I am at a pretty mellow baseline. But I have found myself rather angry, lonely, despairing and sad in recent weeks.

I know this is only a season. It will get better. But it will be a bittersweet ending. As awful as some of the alone-ness is, it causes me to run to Jesus. I have thoroughly enjoyed my times with Him.

Dermatologist

Saw some dude on Tuesday. Did not go well. Quick, narrow, rude. Not helpful.

Later on in the day as I was washing T's puke out of M's pocket I realized that I would rather wash out another pocket than see that doctor again.

Allergist

Saw an extraordinary physician yesterday. Went well. Patient, kind, treated T (and me) like whole people. Helpful. Informative. Did testing.

T is allergic to:

*milk*
*peanuts*
*eggs*

And by allergic, I mean allergic. Not intolerant. Anaphylactic allergic. We carry epi-pens allergic. Signs hang in my kitchen and on my diaper bag allergic. Gonna make some shirts allergic.

But at least we have answers.

copyright (c) Elizabeth, Bug's Beef. All rights reserved.

1 comment:

  1. Re: The Older Brother
    One thing I heard a few year ago, which has caused me much thought, is that it seems as though the Church is largely populated with older brothers. And we wonder why younger brothers are wary to attend.

    Brothers:
    You probably don't want to watch my kids interact 75% of the time.

    Dermatologist:
    Jerk

    Allergist:
    Poor bub. I'm glad you know, but I wish the allergies were things that were easier to avoid. And definitely less severe!

    ReplyDelete

I moderate comments. If comments are snarky, I'll publish them, but not respond. If the comments are hateful, they will not be published. If they're nice, I'll pray a blessing over you as I publish your comment. And maybe even blow a kiss!